|Craig Barker sent this to me 05-07-06:|
About $1.00 per hour
A government survey calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to the age of 18 and came up with $160,140.00 for a middle income family. Talk about sticker shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition. But $160,140.00 isn't so bad if you break it down:
* $8,896.66 a year,
* $741.38 a month,
* $171.08 a week
* $24.24 a day
Thatís just about $1.00 per hour. Still, you might think the best financial advice is not to have children at all if you want to be "rich" when in fact, it is just the opposite.
What do you get for your $160,140.00...?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold (usually covered with jelly or chocolate).
* A partner for blowing bubbles & flying kites.
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.
For $160,140.00 you never have to grow up. You get to:
* Carve pumpkins,
* Play hide-and-seek,
* Catch lightning bugs and never stop believing in Santa Claus.
You have an excuse to:
* Keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh.
* Watch Saturday morning cartoons.
* Go to Disney movies,
* Wish on stars,
* Frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnet
* Collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.
For $160,140.00 there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:
* Retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof.
* Taking the training wheels off a bike,
* Removing a splinter,
* Filling a wading pool,
* Coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs,
* Coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.
You get a front row seat to history to witness:
* The first step,
* The first word,
* The first bra,
* The first date and first time behind the wheel (yikes).
You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great grandchildren.
You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.
In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever and love them without limits, soÖ one day, like you, they will love without counting the cost.
That is quite a deal for the price and, if youíre lucky, you get to do it all over again with your grandchildren (If you take care of yourself, you might even get to stick a "great" in there too!)
Love & enjoy your children & grandchildren. Itís the best investment you will ever make!!